A hacker released authentic pre-release footage development of Grand Theft Auto VI, Take-Two Interactive Software’s most anticipated video game. From a report: The Cache of Videos provides an expansive, unlicensed look at the making of one of the industry’s greatest games. A leak of this magnitude is so rare that some people questioned its authenticity when it surfaced over the weekend, but people familiar with the game’s development said the videos were real. The images provide an early, unpolished view of Grand Theft Auto VI plans, though the final version looks much more polished, said the people, who asked not to be identified as the details are private.
Take-Two asked YouTube and other websites to remove the videos, citing a copyright claim, but not before they were widely distributed. Rockstar Games, the Take-Two studio that makes Grand Theft Auto, confirmed the hack in a statement posted to Twitter on Monday. He blamed a “network intrusion” that allowed the hacker to download the content. Shares of Take-Two fell 3.3% on Monday. The hacker posted dozens of never-before-seen Grand Theft Auto VI videos to an online message board over the weekend. On the forum, the person suggested it was the same hacker who infiltrated Uber Technologies in a high-profile incident last week. The allegation is not verified. The hacker said in a follow-up post about the upcoming Grand Theft Auto game, “I’m looking to negotiate a deal,” and raised the possibility of releasing more inside information about the project.