Australian solar projects cataloged by global mapping tool – pv magazine Australia

0

US-based data firm Global Energy Monitor has launched a new open-source tool that lists Australia’s utility-scale solar power plants alongside those in 147 other countries.

San Francisco-based Global Energy Monitor (GEM) has unveiled a new online mapping tool that lists utility-scale solar PV systems with a capacity of 20 MW or more.

The Global Solar Power Tracker (GSPT) can map solar projects of any status, including operational panels or announced plants, as well as solar installations under development or under construction. Each solar project is linked to a wiki page on the GEM wiki platform.

The tracker provides search results by project name, start year, operator, owner, country, capacity and project status.

Currently, it lists 5,190 utility-scale solar projects in operation with a combined capacity of 298.7 GW in 148 countries. It also includes 3,551 other potential projects that would generate 651.6 GW.

The mapping tool includes 260 solar projects in Australia, including 65 that have already started operations and 23 that have reached the construction stage. 95 others are in the development phase.

GEM said Australia ranks eighth in operating capacity with its 65 utility-scale operational solar power plants generating a combined total of 6.1 GW of clean power. China is the undisputed leader with 130.3 GW of operational capacity, well ahead of the United States (43.4 GW) and India (29 GW). Vietnam (11.3 GW) and Mexico (10.5 GW) complete the top five.

Utility-scale solar accounts for approximately 65% ​​of total global solar capacity, with the remaining 35% being residential and commercial installations.

Ingrid Behrsin, GEM project manager, said the tool combines government, company and other public information to provide project-level data, helping to show the speed and extent with which countries are developing. solar energy.

“Capturing the full extent of solar and wind utilities built around the world is critical to measuring progress towards the energy transition,” she said. “With open access project-level data like this, we are now in a much stronger position to track where countries stand against their own stated renewable energy targets.”

GEM has also released a wind energy tracker covering phases of wind farms of 10 MW or more. The online tool includes 13,263 phases of large-scale wind farms in operation generating 681.4 GW in 144 countries, and 5,235 additional potential projects that would generate 882.0 GW.

This content is copyrighted and may not be reused. If you wish to cooperate with us and wish to reuse some of our content, please contact: [email protected]

Share.

About Author

Comments are closed.