This page is part of IGN’s Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War Wiki guide and details everything you need to know to get started in the all-new Zombies mode, Outbreak.
Tips and tricks to get started in the event of an epidemic
Whether it’s understanding the map, earning bonus points, using vehicles to your advantage to hunt hordes, and even completing side activities like the Dragon Relic, we’ve got you covered in our Complete guide to success in the latest Zombies mode, Outbreak.
- Look for the star icon on your map because it indicates your main goal – which can be one of five possible goals. Without completing the main objective, you will not be able to move on to the next region.
- It’s easy to get caught off guard in Outbreak, so make full use of your available Field Upgrades. While there are a bunch of these special abilities available, we’ve found that the level III healing aura – especially when you level up its various levels – will be an essential ability for your team. Not only will this revive any downed teammates, but it will heal you as well.
- Lack of ammunition? Look for the bullet icons that appear on your minimap to find ammo crates on the map.
- Don’t be afraid to spice things up! Teams with different loadouts have been proven to be much more successful than others that use the same weapons, loadouts, and field upgrades.
- Don’t underestimate the lagging zombies, as more often than not that zombie you chose to leave alive while you continue to explore nearby buildings or using the Pack-a-Punch or Arsenal Machine will end up being the death of you. As these singular zombies manage to reconnect with a herd, you’ll be surprised how easy it is to get caught off guard and quickly overrun.
- You’ll be surprised to know that players will have a chance to receive the Ray Gun, DIE Shockwave, and even more Wonder weapons by completing a series of trials, opening loot chests, and killing Megaton zombies. You can read more about obtaining Wonderful Weapons in Outbreak by clicking on the following link.
- Don’t go alone! Having your teammates nearby will be a big advantage, especially if you happen to be overwhelmed by an incoming herd and need someone to help you take them out or even give you a hand with resuscitation. .
- Don’t stay too long in one place! Being constantly on the move will make it harder for the zombies to overwhelm you. As you complete each goal, be sure to move on to the next one.
Melee zombies during the first difficulty levels for bonus points
Much like the standard Zombies mode, Outbreak offers additional points for melee zombies; While not a huge bonus, any extra point when you are starting out will help you unlock upgrades faster.
Keep in mind that slashing zombies isn’t necessarily an effective strategy after difficulty two, unless you’ve managed to earn enough points to justify using a green rarity combat knife or superior. While you will be successful in taking out most enemies with the upgrade, you will be battling elite and special zombies, which are becoming much more common.
Alternatively, if you have to use a weapon, try aiming for headshots as those will earn you extra points as well.
Teamwork is the source of dream work
Success in Outbreak comes down to teamwork. Without communication, your team will quickly be overwhelmed and achieving goals will become much more difficult than it should be.So if you’re playing with a random team or even a group of friends, make sure to talk and start making coordinated calls that include asking for help, calling loot boxes, side activities, and more.
If you’re struggling to be successful with Random Teams when your friends are not online, we recommend sticking to the dedicated Outbreak single player playlist. Not only will this give you much needed practice, but it will make your overall epidemic experience much easier.
Loot all that is possible
Don’t rush through the different worlds, as you will greatly benefit from staying and looting the different areas that each map has to offer. This will become very clear as you start to explore each map, as you will start to find loot boxes hidden in buildings and other random locations that have everything from rare weapons, scavenging, ammo. , armor and even consumables.While these loot boxes aren’t marked on your minimap, they can be found by listening to a jingle sound, followed by childish laughter. If you hear this noise, it will indicate that a loot box can be found somewhere nearby.
These chests come in different rarity levels though, so don’t be surprised if you need a bit of research before you stumble upon the rarer level chests.
Buy armor ASAP
As you start to open more and more loot boxes, you will quickly start to rack up a pretty impressive collection of Salvage. You’ll want to take full advantage of this junk by purchasing armor from the Arsenal machines that can be found all over the map.
These machines are red and gray in color and feature a standing mannequin wearing armor. As you progress through the waves and the different regions the game will start to increase noticeably in difficulty, and the armor will be a must if you plan to survive.
Armor isn’t the only upgrade you can buy, as you can also buy weapon damage, which we found to be more powerful than Pack-a-Punching your weapons. While armor should always be your top priority, we highly recommend upgrading your weapon damage once you have enough points to spare.
Vehicles are not just used to travel from point A to point B
While vehicles like the Sedan and Light Truck will make it easier to explore Outbreak’s large maps, they’re also extremely useful in taking down hordes of zombies. While they do end up getting damaged over time, finding a new vehicle for you and your team shouldn’t be too complicated, as we’ve found that they appear quite frequently on different maps.Additionally, if you need to take out at least 100 zombies with your vehicle, you will complete a Dark Ops challenge. If you complete all nine challenges, you’ll unlock a unique “Gray Matter” Epic Sniper Rifle Blueprint.
For more details on how to unlock each of the 9 Dark Ops challenges in Outbreak, check out our full guide below: